RERO ILS is an open source integrated library system (ILS) developed by RERO in collaboration with the Catholic University of Louvain (UCLouvain). This is a category of software used to manage the day-to-day operations of a library (document acquisitions, lending, cataloguing, searching) and providing a public interface for users.
A demonstration system is publicly available at the following address: ils.test.rero.ch.
Context of RERO
RERO ILS represents the cornerstone of the mutation project RERO 21.
Based on more than 30 years of experience in the management of a large library network, the RERO central office began the development of RERO ILS in 2017, with the aim of replacing by 2021 the proprietary software currently implemented in the network. Thanks to an open source system, the central office can exploit the full potential of its skills to best meet the current and future needs of its member libraries.
The RERO ILS service offered by RERO is primarily aimed at public, school and heritage libraries and library networks in Switzerland. It is available in French, German, Italian and English.
What does RERO ILS?
A first stable version is planned for the end of 2020, to be deployed in production during the year 2021, with the following functionalities:
- A public interface
- Features for library users: search, personal account, loan requests, loan management, etc.
- Single Sign-On authentication system
- One interface for each network or organisation
- A collective interface covering all organisations
- A professional interface
- Administration: settings of libraries and locations, lending rules
- User management
- Fee management: delay, subscriptions
- Catalogue management: search, description (RDA standard), metadata import and export, item management
- Multilingual management of authorities using MEF
- Circulation management: checkouts, checkins, renewals, requests, interlibrary document transits
- Serials management: predictions, receipt of issues, holdings
- Acquisition management: budgets, accounts, vendors, orders, invoices
- Consortia function
- Three levels: organisations, libraries, locations
- Organisations are independent within the system, but share bibliographic data
At present, some of these features are still under development.
Some 40 libraries currently members of RERO have communicated their intention to benefit from the RERO ILS solution, with a go live scheduled for the summer of 2021. Among them, six pilot libraries are collaborating in the participatory development process:
- Jura Cantonal Library
- Library of Bulle
- Public and University Library of Neuchâtel
- Public Library of Delémont
- Public Library of La Chaux-de-Fonds
- Valais Media Library
Complemented by the expertise of the UCLouvain libraries, this user group constitutes the reference base for the orientations of RERO ILS. The development team is very happy to be able to count on this participation!
Contribute to RERO ILS
The RERO ILS GitHub repository contains information on how to install the system and how to contribute to the development of RERO ILS.